G-bear (5 years old) presented me with a piece of paper and asked me to write down the following nativity narrative: (These are her exact words):
"Mary was working in the garden, and suddenly, an angel came. The angel told Mary she was gonna have a baby and his name will be named, Jesus. She went to Joseph, and Joseph said, 'Someone told me something in the middle of the night.'
'I know," said Mary. 'He told me too. His name will be Jesus.'
They went on a long ride on the donkey. They went on the dusty road for a long time. And finally, they got there. They knocked on the first innkeeper's house. And the innkeeper said, 'No room!' And they went to an other innkeeper's house. And the innkeeper said, 'No room!' They went to the other innkeeper's house, and the innkeeper said, 'No room, but I have a stable that you can go to.' And he showed them where it was. And so, it was nighttime, and they went to sleep. While Mary was asleep, Joseph took the baby out. And the baby was crying, and it woke all the animals in the stable- even the donkey. But one animal stayed asleep, then woke up because of the baby. They rode back home."

Okay, so it is not doctrinally sound, but it resonates!
Oh, the simplistic views of a 5-year old! How would it be if childbirth just entailed our husbands taking the baby out?
"Mary was working in the garden, and suddenly, an angel came. The angel told Mary she was gonna have a baby and his name will be named, Jesus. She went to Joseph, and Joseph said, 'Someone told me something in the middle of the night.'
'I know," said Mary. 'He told me too. His name will be Jesus.'
They went on a long ride on the donkey. They went on the dusty road for a long time. And finally, they got there. They knocked on the first innkeeper's house. And the innkeeper said, 'No room!' And they went to an other innkeeper's house. And the innkeeper said, 'No room!' They went to the other innkeeper's house, and the innkeeper said, 'No room, but I have a stable that you can go to.' And he showed them where it was. And so, it was nighttime, and they went to sleep. While Mary was asleep, Joseph took the baby out. And the baby was crying, and it woke all the animals in the stable- even the donkey. But one animal stayed asleep, then woke up because of the baby. They rode back home."
Okay, so it is not doctrinally sound, but it resonates!
Oh, the simplistic views of a 5-year old! How would it be if childbirth just entailed our husbands taking the baby out?













7 comments:
While we are sleeping is even better. I loved getting your letter. I will be sending mine out after the New Year. We have had a few set backs here in New England. Happy New Year!
Hahahahaha!!!! I am sitting here laughing out loud!! That is the cutest thing ever! I can just hear her cute little voice and the facial expressions she would have on her face while telling you the story. That is adorable! I'm so glad you wrote it down and put it on the blog!
That is great. here is my story of my niece when she was a teenager. We were reading the christmas story from the scriptures. When it came to the part she said Joseph and his 'exposed'
wife. We all had a great laugh.
That is priceless! Give her a kiss on the cheek from me :)
Hi Julie! It's me again! I hope you have a good day-after-your-birthday-day!!! We had SO MUCH FUN with you guys last night.
I just tagged you on my blog!! So, go check it out when you get a minute. LOVE YA!!!
Thanks for the Christmas letter and now I can watch your blog too. It's way cute. Your going to have to teach me photoshop someday! - Sarah
i loved this story!
Post a Comment