CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 1, 2009

RIP Charlie


What do you do when you kill a parakeet that has been entrusted to your care for a short time? Do you replace the beloved pet without them knowing? Do you send flowers?
Do you give them money or a gift card to buy a new bird? I really don't know the proper protocol. Is there protocol? I mean, really, how often does something like this happen? We are sick and devastated, and I take full responsibility. I was not carefully monitoring while Gracie played with the bird. I went to answer the door and a few minutes later Gracie came in with a lifeless Charlie in her hands. She was panicking and crying and said, "Mom, he's not moving and I think he's dead!" We think he was either overstimulated or shocked when Gracie tried to remove one of his feathers. We called the owner right away and Grace insisted on breaking the bad news. In between sobs, she choked out, "Charlie's dead!"
I could tell that Jody, Charlie's owner, was sad and very surprised, but she was so forgiving and understanding. She said that he must have died happy because he had received so much (obviously TOO much) attention these past few weeks.
There will never be another lively bird quite like Charlie. His vibrant periwinkle color, his sweetly melodic singing, his desire to interact will be missed.
Thanks, Hawkins family, for letting us enjoy your darling little birdie.
I guess we've been scratched off the "pet-tending" list now. . .

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh no! That is so sad. He was so cute. Jason kept saying he wanted to go back to your house and see him again. Yes, I said Jason, not Beth.

northslopegang said...

i am so sorry, It was very nice that your friend was so understanding.

Birding is Fun! said...

Too bad about Charlie. We have four pet parakeets, one of which looks much like Charlie. His name is Russell Crowe. We have Mel Gibson (green with yellow head), Nicole Kidman (sky blue belly and white on top), and Bindi (the Jungle Girl) (all yellow with some black spots). Budgies are native to Australia, thus the names of Australian celebs.

Birds are pretty fragile and I'm always nervous that the kids will squish them when we get them out of their cage.

Chalk it up to lessons about the circle of life!

Their only $13 at PetCo too.

Anonymous said...

That is something that would happen to us - I'm sorry about Charlie.

Rochelle said...

You will not be forgotten, dear Charlie.

Andrea Graves :) said...

OH! That is crazy! Parakeets are so fragile - that would be easy to happen. I'm laughing about your question on protocol, you are too funny! And just think, you will never pet tend again, LOL! Don't feel too bad, maybe that bird is old and it was his time! Poor Gracie! :)

Road Scholars